As part of The City of Calgary’s Major Roads Reconstruction Program, Edmonton Trail is being reconstructed this year from 28 to 41 Avenues N.E. The work is being completed in two phases. Phase 1 from 28 to 41 Avenues was completed in 2013. Phase 2 from 16 to 28 Avenues is underway and will be completed in 2014.
Construction moves to east side of Edmonton Trail between 28 and 16 Avenues N.E.
- Reconstruction is mostly complete on the west side of Edmonton Trail.
- Construction work will now switch to the east side, which will take a few days to complete. During that time, one lane of traffic will be maintained in each direction.
- Initially, traffic will move to the two outside lanes for two to three days (the two middle lanes will be closed) in order to re-locate concrete barriers.
- Once this is done, all traffic will be moved to the west side of Edmonton Trail (one lane in each direction).
- All west side accesses will be re-opened to traffic.
- This next stage of construction should last for approximately three months*.
- In addition to the road reconstruction, the water main will also be replaced during this time. Please note that some properties will have temporary water service interruptions and/or temporary water service lines installed. Properties affected by this will receive separate notices regarding their water service.
- Every effort will be made to complete the construction as quickly as possible.
Temporary bus stop locations
- During construction, bus stops will be temporarily relocated.
- Between 16 and 28 Avenues N.E., temporary bus stop locations will be provided at 20 Avenue and 24 Avenue on both sides of Edmonton Trail.
- All other bus stops within the work area will be closed.
East side access closures
- The following roads will be closed on the east side of Edmonton Trail for approximately three months* – 18, 25, 26 and 27 Avenues. Local access will be maintained from the east.
- All other intersecting roads within the project area will also be closed on the east side of Edmonton Trail at different times during construction. Notices will be provided to affected properties at a later date outlining the closure details.
- The duration of the closures of 20, 23, and 24 Avenues will be kept as short as possible so as to maintain community access at these locations throughout the majority of the east side construction. When these roads are closed, a temporary alternate access will be provided at an adjacent road.
- All driveways accessing directly onto Edmonton Trail will be closed for the duration of construction.
- All alleys intersecting Edmonton Trail on east side will be closed within the construction zone for approximately three months*.
Exceptions are the alley north of 16 Avenue N.E. and the alley between 19 and 20 Avenues. These two alleys will be provided temporary access for portions of the east side construction; details of the various closures of these alleys will be provided to the affected properties before they occur.
- The east sidewalk will be closed for construction for approximately 3 months*.
- A temporary gravel sidewalk will be provided on the west side of Edmonton Trail. The permanent west sidewalk will be completed in the next stage of construction after the east side construction is done. This is necessary to accommodate the traffic detour.
*All timelines shown for construction are subject to change. Road construction is very dependent on weather and site conditions.
For more information
- Visit www.calgary.ca/edmontontrail for construction updates and general project information.
- Please call 311 if you require more information or fill out the online form for 311 at www.calgary.ca.
The reconstruction of Edmonton Trail falls under the Major Roads Reconstruction Program, which is dedicated to reconstructing Calgary’s major roadways. A roadway qualifies for reconstruction when the underlying road structure is nearing the end of its useful life. The reconstruction work is managed by Transportation Infrastructure.